The discussion section of speaking section consist of a varied range of questions. Given below are some of the questions that could be asked if the cue card is related to gifts. These questions asked are related to materialistic interests.
- Do you think people have become more or less materialistic in 25 years?
- I feel that people’s attitude towards materialistic things is not a state depending on time, it is more of an individual thing. For example: earlier kings and queens used to live lavishly and it was the common man who lived a simple life. The difference is that at present people have access to more luxuries and comforts which were not available in the past. The main reason being the economic progress that we have made. Apart from it, the attitude towards materialistic remains the same.
- What are the things that give a sense of an honor to people these days?
- Honor is very personal thing and different people feel honored by different things. Some of them get a great deal of prestige in material possessions. For example-: having a luxurious car or a bungalow. There are even some who desire for power. Giving them political power is a feeling of honor for them. There are even some who take pride in their education. Certain professions like engineers, doctors and teachers are more respected in the society.
- What do you think were the things that were a status symbol in the past?
- I am not sure whether material possessions were status symbol but having a lot of land surely was considered honorable in the society. Even more, political power and educated people were considered status symbol. I believe status symbol mostly remains the same throughout the ages.
- Do you think that these days’ people buy a lot of things for prestige rather than genuine need?
- Certainly yes. At present times people have money and often they go for luxurious items, mostly because they want others to look upon them. For example. It might be possible that a person needs a car, but when buying they will chose the one considered elite in the society.
- What things, according to you, might give prestige to people in future?
- I believe, even in future wealth will be a major factor. Apart from it education and advancement in technology might be something that gives honor to people. Also, I think communication abilities might give a sense of pride in future.
To join Group Discussion (GD) and IELTS Discussion with us::