IELTS Academic Writing Task 1
The two maps below show changes that took place in Sunburn City between 1985 and 2010.
Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make comparisons where relevant.
Write at least 150 words.
The two maps represent the changes which have taken place in Sunburn City over a period of 25 years from 1985 to 2010. In the given period, infrastructural development was done on a large scale, although, trees were also cut down massively.
All individual houses were demolished in the north east to construct a new stadium. Moreover, new railway tracks were extended towards north, along the sea. The forest area was also converted into a beautiful amusement park. All the dwellings and trees were cleared in the area adjacent to the railway station and replaced by warehouses. A marina was also built at the estuary.
The single accommodations were replaced by skyscrapers on the bank of Delta river .In addition, the school area was also relocated and enlarged, in the close proximity of skyscrapers. The woodland area was also cleared for the airport relocation .Next to the new airport, many factories were set up, in the east.
To conclude, a comparison of the maps reveals that the city has changed dramatically. The green city was converted into an industrial zone by making end to end changes to facilitate economic growth.
IELTS Dehradun Uttarakhand Tel: 8439000086 , 8439000087
IELTS CUE CARD # TALK ABOUT A TV SERIES YOU REMEMBER
Talk about a tv series you remember
- -what series is it
- -who are the characters
- -what do you like/dislike about it
In this day and age, there are hundreds of TV channels broadcasting news, soap operas, reality shows, sports events etc. There is something for the people of varied interests and choices. Here I would like to talk about an American fantasy drama series called “game of thrones”. I began watching it few years back when one of our family friends recommended it to us. It’s an adaptation of A song of ice and fire, George R. R. Martin’s series of fantasy novels, the first of which is A game of thrones. It has an ensemble cast estimated to be the largest on television. The series premiered on HBO in 2011 and its seventh season ended in 2017. The concluding season 8 would be broadcasted next year. The story revolves around the iron throne of the seven kingdoms and follows a web of alliances and conflicts among the noble families fighting for the throne. Game of thrones has attracted record viewership including active broad international fan base.
The series is filmed in one the most magnificent and breathtakingly beautiful locations in the UK, Canada, Iceland, morocco, Spain and the US. The costumes and sets take the viewers back in time and captivate them throughout the serial. The series exhibit the most extraordinary cinematography skills, animation and graphics including the giants and dragons which seem absolutely real. Even a few video games have come up inspired by the game of thrones. The only thing which I dislike is excessive violence in some of the serials. (255 Words)
FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS
Q1. Do you think most people watch TV for education or for entertainment?
ANS. I personally feel that majority of viewers actually watch TV in their leisure time for entertaining themselves. Most of the channels on TV broadcast soaps, reality shows and sport events rather than education based shows. However, there are some channels exclusively telecasting lectures and tutorials which can be accessed by paying some extra subscription amount.
Q2. Should TV play a role in educating children? How?
ANS. Yes, TV can definitely be used as a medium to educate children. Mass media like television can have a profound impact on the young minds. If I talk about certain channels like Discovery science and National geographic, they have a whole range of knowledgeable shows not only for adults but for children also. When the young minds actually see what they have studied theoretically , they understand and remember the ideas in a much better way. Also, programmes on animals and environment make them sensitive about their conservation which is a must in today’s circumstances.
Q3. Do you think TV viewing habits change as people get older?
ANS. It’s undeniably true that as people age , their day to day routine and interests also change. The same is true as far as choice of contents of programmes and the time when they want to watch TV is concerned. While toddlers watch cartoons , teenagers have a keen interest in music and sports. Then, in adulthood, the focus is towards news and politics. Similarly, the elderlies like watching religion based channels.
IELTS Dehradun Uttarakhand Tel: 8439000086
IELTS Ghaziabad Uttar Pradesh Tel: 7840860007
Most of the people are busy making careers in their country, but if you are the one, who has decided that abroad is the place for you and you need to do a job in some country abroad, the first step towards getting a job is having an excellent resume.
There are several things to watch out for when writing an international resume. Undoubtedly, it requires highlighting several things in detail, such as skills, language, traveling descriptions, etc. Let us have a look at some of the resume tips that can help you write attractive resumes –
- Career Objective – This is the section where you need to convey the recruiter about your area of interest and about what you are looking for in a job. What you write in your resume is simply a follow up of your career objective.
- Education- Mentioning your education helps the recruiter to gauge through your knowledge and skill. However, when applying abroad, you are not applying just because there is a vacancy, you are applying because you need a job. In this case,it is advisable to address your knowledge and skills with relevant examples such as projects, internship, study abroad (if any), and the knowledge of a foreign language.
3. Work Experience – Employers look for people who are self-starters, independent and have managerial skills.You can always emphasize on your work experience and transferable skills. No matter, the experience was small, it always acts as brownie points for you. It could be as small as getting a job at a coffee shop or opening your own company.
4. Professional And Personality Traits – A person when giving you a job abroad will always look for traits such as ability to adjust to the cultural difference and new challenges. So, mention such traits, show them that you are like able and potential employee for the company.
5. Resume Length- Usually, the length of a resume for a recent graduate remains one page, whereas, a candidate with several years of work experience, achievements and number of employers have more information to share, hence the ideal length becomes a two-page resume. In case of an international resume, the candidate requires to mention all the above points in detail. Hence, the length can go up to 3 or 4 pages. However, you need to make sure that whatever you write in it is relevant.
So, go on, write that master piece and get the desired job.
Interviews are inevitable part of ones life. It could be an interview for admission in a university or for getting a job. No matter what the interview is for, make sure you give it your best shot. But then how to give your best shot? How to prepare for interview?
- Prepare For The Questions-:
- An interview usually has three types of questions. The behavouriour type, questions to think and questions to ask. A behaviour question is the one related to your work or the activity you did or about your education. Question to think are think are the questions about your future plans. in the end you are given a chance to question. Make sure you know about the organization well, and ask a question related to it. Make sure you know what you have to say for a question. You need not to cram answers but the points must be clear
- CV is important
- A great deal of questions are asked from your CV. Make sure you prepare your CV well. you’re your cv and ask yourself questions. Pinpoint the main things about your CV and make a detailed study of it. You must know each and everything about it
You need to maintain good body postures and behave well. you need to look well and decent. Remember to be calm, during the entire interview and remain positive.