IELTS Speaking Task Cue Card:
Describe any practical skill you have.
- What is the skill?
- How often do you use it?
- Who taught it to you?
- Explain how it helps you in your life.
I have learned a lot of practical skills such as cooking, driving, working with wood, and working on computer amongst others. I was able to learn them from different places such as my school, my home, workshops and vocational classes. The most illustrious one as per me is graphic designing. I have always had a passion for drawing and art in my childhood. My father bought me a computer when I was in eighth grade, and I started using computer applications to design and draw things on the computer.
It started with painting on Microsoft Paint and later on, I learned other applications and designing possibilities with even more advanced software such as AUTOCAD and Photoshop. As time passed, I grabbed every opportunity to learn about designing and attended diploma courses to become adept at designing. After graduating from high school, I got many chances to work upon cards, posters, banners, and logos for the people I personally knew, and I earned my expenses through these.
I have gained and mastered the skill by practicing a lot. I have read different books on designing and its concepts and spent hours designing classes to hone my abilities. I took every work or freelancing opportunity that I could get and started earning money by putting this skill to good use.
Even though I have a long way to go, I am glad to have this skill, as I plan to build my career in the designing industry where this skill is a required basic necessity. This way, I can use my skill to earn a livelihood.
IELTS Dehradun Uttarakhand Tel: 8439000086 , 8439000087
Describe something important you lost in the past.
- What did you lose?
- When and where did you lose it?
- Why was it valuable to you?
- What did you do afterward?
There are many things that we tend to lose sometimes due to different reasons. I have also lost a few things during the course of my life, due to negligence or ignorance. One such incident took place when I lost my wristwatch. I remember the incident as that watch held a very special significance in my life.
This happened two years ago in the month of January. I was visiting another city in order to attend a friend’s wedding. After reaching my hotel and after getting ready I immediately left for the cocktail party event which was taking place in a famous club there. While partying, I was instantly lost in the moment with my friends. We had a lot to drink and eat and lost track of time as the evening progressed. I must have taken off my watch and kept it somewhere as I realized that it was missing while leaving. I desperately tried to look for it afterward but to no avail. Subsequently, I notified the staff and they promised to look for it. Next morning I went back to the club only to be notified that they were unable to find it.
I was depressed and cursed myself for my negligence. That watch was very valuable to me as it was not only a gift from my grandfather but his only belonging that I had. I urged the club staff to try once again and came back with a heavy heart. Following this incident, I vowed to be aware of my belongings at all times so that such incidents can be avoided.
||Failure to take proper care. Example – George’s injury was due to the negligence of his employers
||lack of information. Example – John acted in ignorance of basic procedures
||moved forward in time. Example – as the century progressed the quality of telescopes improved
||solemnly promise. Example – the rebel soldiers vowed to continue fighting
IELTS Dehradun Uttarakhand Tel: 8439000086 , 8439000087
IELTS CUE CARD # TALK ABOUT A TV SERIES YOU REMEMBER
Talk about a tv series you remember
- -what series is it
- -who are the characters
- -what do you like/dislike about it
In this day and age, there are hundreds of TV channels broadcasting news, soap operas, reality shows, sports events etc. There is something for the people of varied interests and choices. Here I would like to talk about an American fantasy drama series called “game of thrones”. I began watching it few years back when one of our family friends recommended it to us. It’s an adaptation of A song of ice and fire, George R. R. Martin’s series of fantasy novels, the first of which is A game of thrones. It has an ensemble cast estimated to be the largest on television. The series premiered on HBO in 2011 and its seventh season ended in 2017. The concluding season 8 would be broadcasted next year. The story revolves around the iron throne of the seven kingdoms and follows a web of alliances and conflicts among the noble families fighting for the throne. Game of thrones has attracted record viewership including active broad international fan base.
The series is filmed in one the most magnificent and breathtakingly beautiful locations in the UK, Canada, Iceland, morocco, Spain and the US. The costumes and sets take the viewers back in time and captivate them throughout the serial. The series exhibit the most extraordinary cinematography skills, animation and graphics including the giants and dragons which seem absolutely real. Even a few video games have come up inspired by the game of thrones. The only thing which I dislike is excessive violence in some of the serials. (255 Words)
FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS
Q1. Do you think most people watch TV for education or for entertainment?
ANS. I personally feel that majority of viewers actually watch TV in their leisure time for entertaining themselves. Most of the channels on TV broadcast soaps, reality shows and sport events rather than education based shows. However, there are some channels exclusively telecasting lectures and tutorials which can be accessed by paying some extra subscription amount.
Q2. Should TV play a role in educating children? How?
ANS. Yes, TV can definitely be used as a medium to educate children. Mass media like television can have a profound impact on the young minds. If I talk about certain channels like Discovery science and National geographic, they have a whole range of knowledgeable shows not only for adults but for children also. When the young minds actually see what they have studied theoretically , they understand and remember the ideas in a much better way. Also, programmes on animals and environment make them sensitive about their conservation which is a must in today’s circumstances.
Q3. Do you think TV viewing habits change as people get older?
ANS. It’s undeniably true that as people age , their day to day routine and interests also change. The same is true as far as choice of contents of programmes and the time when they want to watch TV is concerned. While toddlers watch cartoons , teenagers have a keen interest in music and sports. Then, in adulthood, the focus is towards news and politics. Similarly, the elderlies like watching religion based channels.
IELTS Dehradun Uttarakhand Tel: 8439000086
Most of the people are busy making careers in their country, but if you are the one, who has decided that abroad is the place for you and you need to do a job in some country abroad, the first step towards getting a job is having an excellent resume.
There are several things to watch out for when writing an international resume. Undoubtedly, it requires highlighting several things in detail, such as skills, language, traveling descriptions, etc. Let us have a look at some of the resume tips that can help you write attractive resumes –
- Career Objective – This is the section where you need to convey the recruiter about your area of interest and about what you are looking for in a job. What you write in your resume is simply a follow up of your career objective.
- Education- Mentioning your education helps the recruiter to gauge through your knowledge and skill. However, when applying abroad, you are not applying just because there is a vacancy, you are applying because you need a job. In this case,it is advisable to address your knowledge and skills with relevant examples such as projects, internship, study abroad (if any), and the knowledge of a foreign language.
3. Work Experience – Employers look for people who are self-starters, independent and have managerial skills.You can always emphasize on your work experience and transferable skills. No matter, the experience was small, it always acts as brownie points for you. It could be as small as getting a job at a coffee shop or opening your own company.
4. Professional And Personality Traits – A person when giving you a job abroad will always look for traits such as ability to adjust to the cultural difference and new challenges. So, mention such traits, show them that you are like able and potential employee for the company.
5. Resume Length- Usually, the length of a resume for a recent graduate remains one page, whereas, a candidate with several years of work experience, achievements and number of employers have more information to share, hence the ideal length becomes a two-page resume. In case of an international resume, the candidate requires to mention all the above points in detail. Hence, the length can go up to 3 or 4 pages. However, you need to make sure that whatever you write in it is relevant.
So, go on, write that master piece and get the desired job.