When explaining the graph in the writing section, you are usually asked to compare or show a particular trend. While doing so, it is preferred that you use verbs or nouns to express it. For example, to show a particular increase or rise in something can be expressed using the following verbs/nouns.
Graph showing workforce participation
ROSE(to)-: The number of women doing their bachelor’s has rose to 71% in 2013.
INCREASED (to) -: Women pursuing their bachelor’s degree has increased to 71% in recent times.
WENT UP (to)-: The number of women in associates’ degree went up by 68%.
CLIMBED (to)-: The percentage of women completing their high school diploma or equivalent has climbed to 49%.
BOOMED-: Women with the associate degree have boomed to 68% in the last year.
A RISE-: There has been a rise in women doing the bachelor’s degree.
AN INCREASE-: An increase can be seen in number of women doing higher degrees.
GROWTH-: Certainly, there is growth amongst women wanting to pursue higher education.
AN UPWARD TREND-: In recent times, an upward trend laying the importance of higher education can be seen in women.
A BOOM-: There is a boom of women in higher education.
You can even present the above graph in a plain language such as; the this has increased from 59 to 98 or anything. But more you use such words, the better your paragraph, and the better your band. Also remember, you get more marks if you use a wide range of grammatical structure.
KNOW MORE ABOUT US
In the end it is all about how beautiful your story of life is and how well you spin the right yarn.
- By the yard
- Sentence-: Don’t worry about the food, it is present by the yard.
Meaning-: in large numbers or quantities
- Spin a yarn
- Sentence-: I have lots of time, go on, spin the yarn.
Meaning-: tell a story, especially a long and complicated one.
- Like a streak
- Sentence-: No one ever becomes successful like a streak.
Meaning-: very fast
- Against the stream
- Sentence-: Most successful political leaders thought against the stream.
Meaning-: Against the prevailing view or tendency
- On stream
- Sentence-: You can easily get the job, it is on the stream.
Meaning-: In or into operation or existence; available
SENTENCE-:The Britishers were able to bear down the rulers of India.
MEANING-: overthrow or crush by force
PUT SOMEONE IN THE WAY OF
SENTENCE-: Just put me in the way of success and I’ll show who I am.
MEANING-: give a person an opportunity
THE WAY OF THE WORLD
SENTENCE-:If you don’t like the way of the world, you need to take responsibility to change it.
MEANING-: a typical way in which people around the world behave and things happen.
WAY AND MEANS
SENTENCE-:Success sounds good only if your ways and means are correct.
MEANING-: the ways and means of person for achieving something.
UP THE WAZOO
SENTENCE-:Why did you ordered so much!! It is up the wazoo.
MEANING-: in great quantities
THE WEAK LINK
SENTENCE-:Everyone has a weak link, you just need to find it and hit it hard.
MEANING-: the point in an organization or system that is least vulnerable and is unlikely to be dependent on.
No matter it is, about writing an essay or a report, you need to write an introduction. Although you don’t get the entire marks based on your introduction but it surely has a huge role to play in your overall score. So, writing an effective essay always begins with writing an effective introduction. No, how can you write an effective essay? Well, there are three things that you can consider-:
- Write a general statement about the topic. For e.g., if the topic is about fossil fuels or the need of new alternative ways to generate energy, you could begin by stating; fossil fuels have been an integral part of our lives since ages. Now, they are at the verge of extinction. You can even quote something that you have heard of in recent times.
- The next most easiest and effective thing to do is paraphrase the question. Make use of synonyms, use idioms. The point is just take the idea from the question and paraphrase it to use it in the introduction. Remember, it is important that you use synonyms, because if you don’t and end up using the same words, you may lose marks.
- The last thing to do is write the thesis sentence. The thesis sentence is the one that straight away points out your point of view on it. For e.g. I completely agree with the statement given. Or maybe my opinion contradicts with the one provided.
Remember, introduction is the easiest part of writing an essay and the most important also. Make sure you put the best foot forward.
323,GMS Road, Above Axis Bank,
Near Ballupur Chowk,Dehradun.
Call Now-: 08439000086, 08439000087
The graph below shows the amount of fast food consumed by Australian teenagers in between 1975 and 2000.
Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and making comparisons where relevant.
Write at least 150 words.
How to do it?
Divide what all you have to write in four paragraphs.
This is the simplest thing to do while writing the paragraph because it already has been provided to you in the question. The first line of the question is itself the introduction. Now while writing it don’t just copy whatever is written. Make sure you paraphrase it. That is make changes to it, use synonyms of the words already used.
BODY 1 and BODY 2
The two paragraphs that contain body must explain the graph. Make comparisons where necessary, but don’t just try to copy down the entire graph. You do need to cover the entire graph, but only the important points. Remember you need to write 150 words, at maximum 170, not more than that.
This paragraph should bring out the two extremes of the entire graph. May be something was used or done more and the other thing very less, something that is the gist of the entire graph.
Graphs are really easy, once you understand what the graph is all about. Make sure you understand the graph correctly before you start writing the answer.