The is called the definite article. We use the when we are talking about something that has already been mentioned.
- She is wearing a red dress and a black jacket. The dress is very stylish.
- They have a dog. The dog is black and white.
- We use the when we are talking about a specific person or thing, or if there is only one, or if it is clear which one we are talking about.
- He chose a book and started to read. — one of many books
- He chose the book that his sister had recommended. — a specific book
- He took the newspaper and started to read. — there is only one newspaper.
- Can you turn on the computer? — it’s clear we are talking about the computer in this room
- She has to see the doctor on Friday. — it’s clear we are talking about her usual doctor
- She needs to see a doctor. — not any specific doctor
- Icarus flew too close to the sun — there is only one sun
- The best city I’ve ever visited is Rome. — there can only be one best city.
To learn more about definite article join IELTS Band 7
Feel free to call for suggestions and queries.
IELTS Band 7 Dehradun
Near Ballupur Chowk, Dehradun
email: info at ieltsband7.com