Simple Present Tense # Grammar For IELTS
SIMPLE PRESENT TENSE
Now, what is simple present tense.
The simple present tense is used to indicate events or statements of the following types-
- To express a particular habit of an individual.
She drinks tea every morning.
He goes to jogging at 5:00 AM daily.
You must brush your teeth twice a day.
- She drinks tea every morning.
- In order to express general truth
- The sun rises in the east.
- Earth revolves around the sun as well as along its own axis.
- Fortune favors the brave.
- To express things that are happening in present and an exclamatory mark is used to represent them, often beginning with here and there.
- Here comes the bus!
- There goes the topper of our school!
- Here comes the superstar!
- While narrating something, simple present often gets used as a substitute for the simple past.
- And then enters arman, with all his charm he simply calms down ridhima.
- He runs to save her life and in the rush loses his own.
- She says, she hates him and they can never be together.
- It is also used to express a future event that is part of a fixed time table.
- The next flight to America is at 3:00 am.
- The match starts at 3:00 pm.
- The newspaper comes at 8:00 am.
The simple present tense is also used in other ways. These are
- To introduce a quotation, such as; he says,” blab ala blab la”.
- Often to replace the simple future tense, in clauses of time and condition. Example- if it rains, we shall get wet.
- Used in broadcasting or commentaries when the focus must be on the succession of happenings rather than on duration.