Future Continuous Tense # Grammar For IELTS
Future continuous tense is used to talk about events that will happen continuously in the future. It has two forms –
- will be doing- The form of future continuous in this case is –
will be+present participle
- be going to be doing – The form of future continuous in this case is –
am/is/are + going to be + present participle
- Are you going to be waiting for her when she arrives?
- Will you be waiting for her when she arrives?
Future Continuous Tense has the following uses –
- To mark interruptions
- Future Continuous is used to mark an interruption in the continuous event of future, by a shorter action in the future.
I will be watching movies when she arrives.
I will be busy for the next two hours, call me only if an emergency happens.
In the above, the interruptions are marked by the simple present tense.
NOTE- Interruptions are in time clauses, and you cannot use future tenses in time clauses.
- To represent parallel actions in the future
- If future continuous is used in a statement with two sentences, it shows that both the sentences will be happening parallel.
I am going to be studying and he is going to be reading.
- To express the ambiance
- Often future continuous is used to express the atmosphere of a particular place in the future.
When we arrive at the party, everyone will be celebrating.
- No future in the time clause
- the Future Continuous cannot be used in clauses beginning with time expressions such as: when, while, before, after, by the time, as soon as, if, unless, etc. Instead of Future Continuous, Present Continuous is used.
While I am going to be traveling, she will be studying. THIS STATEMENT IS WRONG.
While I am traveling, she will be studying. THIS IS THE CORRECT FORM.
IELTS Dehradun Uttarakhand Tel: 8439000086